Petit Manan Light
President James Monroe authorized the light in 1817 to warn about the treacherous sandbar running between Petit Manan Island and the mainland. The present 119-foot granite tower is the second tallest light in Maine.
The island supports colonies of several tern species.
The tower can be seen distantly from Petit Manan Point. Puffin watch cruises go close to the island.
Location: Off Petit Manan Point, Steuben
Present light built 1855